Randy Mark Yager

Randy Mark Yager, seen here in a photo released by the U.S. Marshals Service, was captured in October 2014 in Mexico after 17 years on the run.

MILWAUKEE | The capture of a member of the Outlaws motorcycle gang after 17 years on the run has also raised the possibility that an area family may finally get some long sought information about what happened to a relative who may have disappeared with him.

Randy Mark Yager, 58, of Gary, was apprehended Wednesday near Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico. Now the family of Margie Jelovcic waits to see if the former Crown Point woman was with him at the time of his capture or if Yager has information about where she may be located. 

"Hopefully, he will say something," said Jelovcic's mother, Katie Jelovcic, Friday in the midst of preparing food at Milan's 51st Tap, at 5115 Broadway in Gary.

Katie Jelovcic otherwise didn't want to speak about the situation.

Margie Jelovcic's sister said the family was waiting for information, but as of Friday had not heard anything. The sister asked that her name not be used in the article.

"We did think when they found him they would find her," said Jelovcic's sister.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. Marshals in Washington, D.C. was working Friday on obtaining further information that might help answer some of the family's questions. 

Yager was president of the Outlaws Chicago region when he and 16 other members of the Detroit-based gang were indicted by a Wisconsin federal grand jury in 1997. The government's racketeering indictment accused Yager of murder, arson, possession of explosives, trafficking in stolen vehicles and narcotics.

"As a violent gang member with ties to the Outlaws motorcycle group, Randy Mark Yager is accused of several horrendous crimes that landed him on our 15 Most Wanted list," Stacia Hylton, director of the U.S. Marshals Service, said in a statement issued Thursday.

"Though he evaded justice for 10 years, thanks to the partnership of our counterparts in Mexico and the tenacity of our criminal investigators, I am proud to say that today he has become another violent fugitive we have taken off the streets."

Federal investigators recently gathered information on Yager's possible location and forwarded the tip to Mexican authorities. Law enforcement officials in Mexico responded to the location and confronted a man matching Yager's description.

The U.S. Marshals Service reported Yager initially identified himself to Mexican authorities as David and produced several forms of identification bearing the name David Michael Dorian. 

He later identified himself as Randy Yager, Marshals Service officials said.

Mexican authorities took Yager into custody and transported him to Tijuana. He was later taken to San Diego where he was being held Friday.

Jelovcic's sister said she was happy the Marshals Service was finally able to capture Yager.

"I'm glad that justice has been served," she said.

Keep reading for FREE!
Enjoy more articles by signing up or logging in. No credit card required.

Yager was the only remaining fugitive in the indictment against the Outlaws. He landed on the U.S. Marshals' list of 15 most wanted fugitives in 2004.

When Yager, also known as "Mad," disappeared, so did Margie Jelovcic.

Jelovcic was 30 at the time and living in Crown Point just around the corner from Yager. Jelovcic worked nights as a bartender at Milan's 51st Tap.

Yager, who was the leader of the Outlaws, lived nearby and came in with a group of friends. Family members said Jelovcic began dressing like members of the motorcycle gang when she and Yager started dating.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Jelovcic's sister said she and her sibling were very close until Yager came into the picture. She said she has not heard from her sister for 17 years. She also has had safety concerns for her immediate family because of the gang's reputation.

"Those are bad people," said Jelovcic's sister. "They have no respect for life — none."

Jelovcic told her mother she was going on vacation with Yager to Las Vegas in June 1997 and two days later, Yager was indicted along with 16 other Outlaws on federal charges. 

Family members said she returned two weeks later to her Crown Point home and the bartending job, but was depressed. She left in September and was never seen again. Her belongings remained in her apartment in the Mallard Bay complex untouched. 

The late Times columnist Mark Kiesling covered the Outlaws for decades and in 2012 spoke to Katie Jelovcic about her daughter's disappearance when the U.S. Marshals Service opened the cold case file on the case.

"What can I do? I cry and cry every day," she said at the time.

Both Margie Jelovcic's mother and sister spoke fondly of the columnist who kept the case in the public's eye.

"I just wish Mark Kiesling was here to hear about all of this," said the sister.

The U.S. Marshals Service maintained throughout its investigation that Margie Jelovcic was believed to be traveling with Yager and that there were no outstanding warrants out on her.

Jelovcic's sister has been contacted in the past by the U.S. Marshals Service, but had not heard anything new since the arrest. There have been times in the past where she has been contacted about "Jane Does" and had to endure weeks of waiting before DNA tests determined the bodies were not her sister.

"It's been a very, very long time," she said. "I still don't know where my sister is." 

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.